Sunday, February 07, 2010

American Idol 2010

I haven't had time to watch American Idol this season. I generally don't like the initial auditions as I think there is a huge level of disgusting exploitation of some very sad and needy people. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I watched one of my kids get reamed by those initial shows.

Having said that, every now and then, the producers get it right by focusing on someone exceptional. A friend turned me on to the fact that a kid with Tourette's made it through to Hollywood. Tonight, I finally had the time to Google it and found some video of his audition.

If you missed it, Dave Pittman wow'd the judges at the Dallas auditions. Whether or not he has Tourette's, he's good. Now, I just hope he's judged fairly and doesn't get voted through out of pity.

The point they keep making is that his tics totally disappear when he sings. This is very common, actually. I wish I could figure out the brain. But it seems that when most folks with TS are focused on something they love, the tics are minimized or disappear altogether. In the video, I do see some facial tics when he's singing. But they are minimized significantly.

His facial tics and clearing of the throat give you a good idea of how Pokemon Boy can look at times.

I love seeing people with Tourette's have a good shake in the media. Dave seems like a good kid. He's talented. He's also giving a good face to Tourette's. I hope he does well.

1 comment:

Allie said...

That's cool. They've just started screening American Idol 2010 in NZ, and my flat is addicted to it, so I'll keep an eye out for him.

I saw a doco last year about an Australian kid with really, really severe Tourette's (who had surgery with miraculous results) - but I found it really interesting when they showed her ice skating (before the surgery), and she was just a different person. When not ice skating, she was shouting, kicking, punching, swearing every three or four seconds, and just completely miserable. When ice skating, she looked just like a normal kid. It was nice. And amazing to consider the use of "pointless" things like singing or ice skating to the brain.