Friday, December 05, 2008

The Dating Rituals of Almost-Five Year Olds

So Lil' Bro says to me this week, "Mom guess what."  "What?" says I.  "I have a girlfriend at school," he says, all crinkly faced with glee and embarrassment.  "Oh really..." says me who is now channeling the mom from Adam Sandler's 'The Waterboy'.  "Well cool," I say nonchalantly, so as not to add any undue importance or excitement to what is and should be a very sweet and innocent thing.  Pokemon Boy isn't so cool about it.  He's eight.  Girls, he has found, give you kooties.

"Really?  You have a girlfriend at school?" he asks incredulously.  "Yup," beams Lil' Bro.  I exchange a look with Pokemon Boy that warns, Don't mess with him on this subject.  He gives me a nod of understanding and continues in an overly interested tone, "So what's her name?"  Lil' Bro says, "[PreSchoolGirl]."  "What color hair does she have," inquires Pokemon Boy.  He is a fan of long straight dark hair (that's my boy!).  "Blond, I think."  Men, I think jokingly to myself.  Can't even remember the color of their girlfriend's hair.

"So you don't mind being her boyfriend?" asks the kootie-phobic 3rd grader.  "No," says Lil' Bro.  "But also," he continues, "[OtherBoy] likes her, too."  "Oh," I say, preparing for a preschool version of heart break.  "And is that ok with you?"  "Yah.  We share her," he informs me.  "You share her?  Does [PreSchoolGirl] know this?"  "Yah."  "And she's ok with this?"  "Yah."  "Ok then."

I think preschoolers "date" way better than adults.  You declare your affection.  Label yourself as "boyfriend" or "girlfriend".  Share when necessary.  And that's it.  Nothing else.  Just play together and tell people you have a girlfriend.  If only we were that smart.

8 comments:

Sarakastic said...

cuteness!

C. Beth said...

Well, I was all jealous, but since I've found out he can share, I guess Chickie can share him too. Once they get married though...she will require monogamy. You might want to tell him that now. :)

Kendra said...

This is so sweet . . love your boys!

Trish Ryan said...

Omigosh, this is all too cute!!! Rock on Lil bro :)

Stacy said...

Very cute.

Mary Ann said...

Awwwwww. :)

Jane said...

My first boyfriend was Kevin Regal when I was in Kindergarten (I'm not worried about the name dropping...I doubt he's following my bog some 39 years later). My brothers teased me for years.

When Kendall comes home and tells me about a boy who likes her, I go straight for the closet and polish my rifle while she blathers on about the young punk..... )))

Allie said...

That's lovely! :) *smiles*