Friday, August 07, 2009

Proud'n' On Pokemon Boy

I am so stinkin' proud of Pokemon Boy. Right now, he's on the phone with the little girl that was, for most of last school year, his "nemesis".

Pokemon Boy and MissM were best pals in 2nd grade. They ended up in the same class for 3rd grade and we were stoked. The two of them ended up being the two smartest kids in their 3rd grade class last year. Unfortunately, a bit of competition paired with entering the age of opposite sex having cooties...well, for Pokemon Boy, it turned bad. I think she always approached it as a healthy rivalry. But Pokemon Boy's anxiety issues and missing the social cues turned it into an all out raging rivalry for him. It got bad enough for some phone calls at times. He also had to write a letter of apology to her once that I made him hand deliver. [Fortunately for him, he had an awesome teacher. MrsP was extremely patient and really worked hard to help him last year.]

Anyway, toward the end of the year, he had really tried hard to control it and leave her alone. Over the summer, I've also reminded him that they will probably both be in the same class as they're both in the talented & gifted program. So he'd better deal with her being in his academic and social spheres.

About two weeks ago, out of the blue, he told me, "I think this year I'm going to try to make friends with [MissM]." I was shocked, but very psyched.

Last night, the school had a pre-back-to-school picnic. MissM's family lives near the school so I had hoped they'd be there. Pokemon Boy spent the first 30 minutes looking for her. I was so impressed with his resolve. So I called her mom's phone and left a message that we were there and Pokemon Boy had been looking for MissM. I also told her how he had decided to make friends with her.

So today, I got a call and it was MissM asking for Pokemon Boy! How stinkin' cute! I told her he'd call her when he got home. And of course got distracted and just now remembered. I just told him she had called so he called her back. They had a nice conversation (by the sound of it).

I'm just so proud of him that he made this decision. She really is such an awesome kid. The kind of kid you want your kid to be friends with. So this just makes me happy. Plus, I'm friends with her mom.

So stinkin' proud that my boy was able to overcome the whole "Boys Rule, Girls Drool" thing.

1 comment: