Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Ink

The lovely Sarakastic asked about my new (first and only) tattoo. Here 'tis:


It is ancient Hebrew for Yeshua or Jesus. Now, I don't profess to know whether it is actually oriented properly - as Hebrew is read from right to left and this certainly looks left to right. But I didn't put it on my arm for Hebrew scholars. I put it on my arm because God/Jesus totally walked with me through all of 2007. He has been amazingly faithful to fallible, angry, hurt me. He has blown my mind with amazing answer to prayer of late. As stupid as it may seem to some, this tattoo is my way of labeling myself. A physical reminder of whose I am. That, and I love tattoos. I think they can be gorgeous. I love this one. For many reasons.

The young guy who did it for me liked the symbols. He said, "What's it say?" I just answered, "Yeshua," and he just nodded and accepted that. But later, about halfway through, he said, "So what does this mean?" I told him. It means Jesus. The only man's name worth putting on my body. I told him I was celebrating a new found freedom in my life. That he had saved me in 2007. It didn't go much further than that. But I asked God to make that kid curious.

Anyway, I got the tattoo on Dec 29th - my Christmas present to me with some of that Christmas money my friend gave me. It was the day my dad went into the ER with pneumonia. I finally showed it to mom after dad got out of the hospital. She didn't disown me. I figure in all of her experiences as a mom (with 6 kids), she realizes that a tattoo of Jesus' name is definitely not the worst thing that could happen.

Anyway Sarakastic, there you go.

4 comments:

Sarakastic said...

This is awesome, I especially like the reminder of whose I am. Your tattoo is one of the coolest that I've seen.

Wanda said...

That is a cool tattoo. My youngest daughter has several, but nothing in "Hebrew". I like that your's has a real purpose.

Allie said...

Very, very cool.

Jane said...

I love this tattoo. Sometimes I think I'll be daring and go for another and then I just have to stop myself and remind myself that 2 is more than enough. Still, if I did a third, it would be a pair of dice: one with a 5 and the other with a 2.