I was just tagged by the Lovely Angela. I love memes and I love Christmas. So therefore, I love this "hoopla"! It goes like this:
1. List 12 random things about yourself that have to do with Christmas.
2. Please refer to it as a ‘hoopla’ and not the dreaded ‘m’-word…
3. You have to tag specific people when you’re done. No “if you’re reading this, consider yourself tagged” stuff is allowed. The number of people you tag is really up to you — but the more, the merrier to get this ‘hoopla’ circulating through the blogosphere.
4. Please try and do it as quickly as possible. The Christmas season will be over before we know it! Let’s involve as many people as possible!
5. Please give Andrea some link-love as the “Hoopla-Creator!
Here are my twelve random things..
1. Alistair Sim is the only Scrooge. I'll watch some of the others but the 1951 version of A Christmas Carol with him is the only one that doesn't annoy me.
2. The scene where George keeps Mr. Gower from poisoning someone in It's A Wonderful Life? Seriously. I die weeping. I cannot tell you how much that scene just SLAYS me. Just thinking about it can get me weeping. Talk about redemption. Phew!
3. My stocking as a child was red with white trim and had a white angel on the front. My name was in gold under the angel. I'm pretty sure my mom or her mom (Muzzy) made it. I always found the angel image rather amusing.
4. My first dad (who died when I was 11) had a birthday 2 days after Christmas. I always thought that totally rocked. I never asked him what HE thought.
5. I thought my in-laws were insane as they made everyone wait until Christmas NIGHT to open gifts. Have you ever hung out in a house with 3 little kids who are being made to wait until that NIGHT to open their gifts? It's madness I tell you. Madness. When I finally started working some of my own traditions in with theirs? That was the first one I attacked.
6. My mom used to make home made cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning. I still think they were the best things EVER.
7. We used to open up our Muz & Pop gifts (mom's parents) on Christmas Eve. For many years, they were homemade slippers from Muz. We knew they would be and couldn't wait to put them on.
8. In 2003, I spent Christmas in the post-partum "spa" in Boston's Beth Israel. It was probably the single most relaxing Christmas I've ever had. I left the baby (Lil' Bro) in the nursery unless he needed me. I slept whenever I could. I watched a ton of documentaries on Jesus, Mary and all things related to Christmas. I totally didn't want to go home.
9. I have an extensive collection of Christmas CDs. One tradition is to buy a new one every year. Come to think of it...I'm not sure I bought one for this year. Yet!
10. I get very annoyed at the seeming necessity most popular musicians feel to "jazz up" or "funk up" or "rock out on" traditional Christmas songs. Honestly, some songs just stand on their own in their original form. Do you really think that putting your "original stamp" on a song will replace the traditional Gene Autry or Barbara Streisand or Bing Crosby or Nat King Cole versions in our hearts? I don't mind a new arrangement or someone new singing it. But I can't take all the vocal acrobats that have to totally Patti LaBelle every single note. Or the new verses people seem to think we need. Or those who subscribe to the belief that ever song must have a bridge so they add one. Drives me bonkers.
11. I love doing anonymous kindnesses for strangers. Especially around this time of year.
12. My kids both asked if Santa was real. I told them the truth. They both exercised their selective memory and are behaving as if he does.
Well, I'm annoyed by the rule saying I have to tag specific people. Because in all honestly, I want to see this done by all of the Awesome Blogger Chicks on my blog walk. But if I must name them each, here goes...
- [Darlene was already tagged by Angela but I want to see hers]
- Ukranian Diva (maybe this will get her blogging again!)
- [Wanda was already tagged by Angela, too, but I want to see hers]
- My cousin Kendra
- My cousin Monica
- Jane (clean up the sailor talk - it's Christmas, for the love of Pete!)
- [Angela already did hers and tagged me so go read it]
- Trish The Dish
There. I did it. Links and all.