Monday, April 16, 2007

Prayers for Virginia Tech

Even those of us that live under rocks heard about the horrors at Virginia Tech today. Hubby and I had a rough night and morning today. But when he came into my office and told me to look at the story, it put things in a rather blunt perspective.

My Niece goes to VTech. She is an incredible girl and I never tell her that. I couldn't get my brother (her dad) on the phone. I couldn't get my other sister on the phone. My parents (who summer in Roanoke) were at a wedding in upstate New York. I called my mom as my dad spoke to my brother on the other cell phone. My niece is alive and fine. I found her online later and IM'd her. I started crying as I typed how much I love her and how I can't believe I don't tell her that all the time and would have died if anything had happened to her. She told me that she had jumped in her car and high-tailed it to her off-campus apartment.

I have thanked God quite a lot today.

My Niece is a beautiful, thoughtful, godly woman. While she sat there glued to her TV and laptop (much like most of us older folks did on 9/11), her first thoughts were to ask me to pray for all of the families. Done! I sent an email to my pastor and his wife as soon as I heard. Let the prayer chains begin.

These families - I can't even imagine. My fractured marriage seems a small slice of heaven right now. We are all whole and safe.

Please join me - in whatever way you might - to pray for the families of the kids that were killed in the prime of their youth. Please pray for the other students who made it and will deal with survival guilt, shock and anxiety - to name just a few. Please pray for the staff members who will have to deal with the aftermath and insecurity and probably survivor guilt as well.

Roanoke is a beautiful sleepy little city. It is the seat of some of God's purest beauty. This will be something that will shake that whole community. Pray that God can use his people in that area to offer whatever can be offered.

Thank you God for covering My Niece with your protection. Be with all of the families that have lost someone today. Give them the comfort that only You can give. Oh God, I just sent my heart out to them. Fill them with your Holy Spirit and help them however they each need.

9 comments:

Kristen said...

Sending up prayers now - and praise for protecting your niece.

What is it about this day?!?!?! Patriot's Day in Boston seems to always have some horrible tragedy somewhere else in the country. I was even thinking earlier today that, thank goodness, there was no tragedy today. Ugh.

Praying for you and hubby, too. Wish AMM and I were there to take you out for a girls' night. Miss you and love you very much.

Kendra said...

Thanks for the update . . what a horrible day, and what a horrible stench this is for that community. May the Lord bless them all with His peace and with His healing as they walk this path they never wanted to step onto. Sure do love your tender heart. Thanks for calling us to pray!

Wanda said...

Lynette: How thankful I am that your neice is OK. My prayer for all those hurting families. We seem so far away from it here in CA.

Trish Ryan said...

Well put. It's all too much to fathom. Thank God your niece is okay.

Beck said...

Oh, I'm so glad your neice is all right. That must have been so horrible while you weren't certain...

Kate said...

Wow. I can't believe you have someone close to you that goes to that institution. That must have been terrifying! I'm glad to hear she's alright.

Angela Marie said...

Praying also...

I am so thankful that your niece is ok, and that you got a chance to tell her how much you love her.

Stacy said...

Glad your niece is safe. That must have been a terrifying day for you (and for her as well, obviously).

Jane said...

Lynette,

Your spirit is beautiful. I am praying for all the families too. I'm so glad your niece is okay. It is tragic, but unfortunately these types of occurances are not uncommon anymore. An hour away from me was where the Amish children were shot in their school house. Just this morning I was trying to understand why God lets these things happen. But as always, I trust that He has his plan for all of us.